Sunday, August 9, 2026

the first person from our church to go to college

"A week before we were to move I was to leave for Washington. The church gave a reception for me, the first person from our church to go to college, and everybody brought gifts and laughed and new that I would make good. But I left Howard after two years. Lost my scholarship because I didn't study. I didn't have to, I thought. I didn't have to know about science and geography and things that I didn't want to know. I was a Dahomey woman. And so I came home to a disappointed and confused Mama and Daddy who was furious and defensive and sad."

~~ from Good Woman: Poetry and a Memoir 1969--1980 by Lucille Clifton

No comments:

Auggie's Revenge and Fight for Your Long Day

Auggie's Revenge at affordable prices

Why pay less when spending more is so easy and free?   Right. In other words,   if anyone would like a shipped paperback copy of  Auggie...