Thursday, July 7, 2022

Sharing a part of these lands

"I can do okay, in short doses, living in the circus of rules that is New York City—but I would hate to live in a country where getting out on the land meant having to be in a space as heavily regulated as a national park. I don't currently plan on becoming a wild-bearded old miner working a placer claim on some lonely creek, but I would hate to live in a country where that wasn't an option if I fuck everything else up. My arsenal of firearms right now is nothing very warlike, but I would hate to live in [a] country without wild mountain fastnesses 'to function as bases for guerilla warfare against tyranny,' as Ed Abbey put it long ago. Environmentalists can think these kinds of thoughts too. Sharing a part of these lands shaped my conception of myself long before I ever set foot on the lands themselves. They gave me a sense of possibility far beyond the bounds of my immediate existence."

~~ from Chosen Country: A Rebellion in the West by James Pogue

No comments:

Auggie's Revenge and Fight for Your Long Day

Auggie's Revenge at affordable prices

Why pay less when spending more is so easy and free?   Right. In other words,   if anyone would like a shipped paperback copy of  Auggie...