Saturday, May 30, 2009

Reading in 2009 (so far):

These are titles I have read in 2009. I do not include syllabus readings, and I only include a "return" to a book if many moons have passed since I turned its pages. If you would like a long list like this I advise the following: 1) select relatively short books 2) stop paying for cable 3) live in a "nowheresville" area where you won't get any reception without cable and will find little else to do in your leisure time 4) fail to renew your magazine subscriptions but 5) have a baby who falls alseep early so reading becomes an effective quiet evening pursuit.

Netherland by Joseph O'Neill
Camera by Jean-Philippe Toussaint
The Alcoholic by Jonathan Ames (literary graphic novel)
The Left Bank Gang by Jason (literary graphic novel; first name only, yes)
Walter Benjamin at the Dairy Queen by Larry McMurtry
Dog Eats Dog by Iain Levison
Television by Jean-Philippe Toussaint
The Bathroom by Jean-Philippe Toussaint
The Motel Life by Willy Vlautin
The Eaves of Heaven by Andrew X. Pham
Making Love by Jean-Philippe Toussaint
Monsieur by Jean-Philippe Toussaint
Pop Apocalypse by Lee Konstantinou
Everyman by Philip Roth
Riding Toward Everywhere by William Vollmann
The Fever by Wallace Shawn
Death of a Salesman Arthur Miller (a first for me)
Zuckerman Unbound by Philip Roth
The Extra Man by Jonathan Ames
The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (a university selection for freshman summer reading)
Wake Up, Sir! by Jonathan Ames
Cosmospolis by Don Delillo (first new Delillo for me in quite some time; good not great but great in some sections)
The Writer as Migrant by Ha Jin
How To Rob an Armored Car by Iain Levison
Man in the Dark (first new Auster for me in quite some time; so-so)
Nowhere Man by Aleksandar Hemon (first Hemon for me; good stuff so far)

I will update this list when I add to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Much better than me this year (but don't try getting in the ring with Jennifer!).

Featured Post

Book Reviews for Fight for Your Long Day

Genealogies of Modernity " Fight for Your Long Loud Laughs " by Jeffrey Wald at Genealogies of Modernity (January 2022) The Chron...