Monday, March 3, 2014

Two Small Coincidences?

Late last night, as I tore through a section of Dave Newman's Two Small Birds where the narrator expresses his admiration for Knut Hamsun's Hunger, I turned to my left, and sure enough it was the only book on the stool by my bed (linked to the edition I own, translated by Robert Bly and with an introduction by Isaac Bashevis Singer).

This reminded me of the other Pittsburgh novel, Said Sayrafiezadeh's When Skateboards Will Be Free, and how I was about to fall asleep early after reading a page with the sentence, "The clock on the wall read 8:50." I checked my cell phone, and sure enough, it was 8:52 p.m.

I'll just tidy up, find the Hunger links, and escape this entry without mentioning Mr. Coincidence, Paul Auster (who, by the way, has written an introduction to a different edition of Hunger).

1 comment:

Pete said...

Hunger is my favorite novel, and has been ever since I first read it during college in the mid 1980s. Shortly before I published my debut novel Wheatyard with Pablo D'Stair at Kuboa Press last year, he told me that he named the press after "kuboaa", a word Hamsun coined for Hunger. He said he did so because Hunger meant more to him than any novel in the world, both as a person and artist. Interesting what serendipity that novel seems to create.

Featured Post

Book Reviews for Fight for Your Long Day

Genealogies of Modernity " Fight for Your Long Loud Laughs " by Jeffrey Wald at Genealogies of Modernity (January 2022) The Chron...