Monday, April 29, 2013

may gas

No matter how poor and "unparticipating" American workers get, it always seems like we cling to our automobiles. We call this want a necessity, and I've heard that even in Manhattan, where supposedly no one ever drives, most still own a car.

I remember the shock of first arriving at Temple University's campus for teaching and graduate classes in the late nineties, and my late twenties, having only been a driver and car owner for two of the eleven years I was eligible for such, and seeing the sea of student cars on campus. I learned to park in the gravel lot near Anderson Hall, which was full of aged clunkers and economy makes just like mine. 

It's been reported that the average car on the road today is nine years old, and I would not be surprised if the median vehicle is still getting older although my understanding is that favorable lease terms have helped get new auto sales booming again. Anyway, in old or new cars, we are still a driving people, and so many will be cheered by this May dip in gas prices to below $3. For some, commuting to and from work on wages already lost to transportation costs, it will feel like a blessing.

No comments:

Featured Post

Book Reviews for Fight for Your Long Day

Genealogies of Modernity " Fight for Your Long Loud Laughs " by Jeffrey Wald at Genealogies of Modernity (January 2022) The Chron...