Thursday, February 4, 2010

church fires and grilled chicken

Dan Kalder has an interesting piece on recent church burnings in Texas. He connects them to some Heavy Metal "Back to Thor" kids from Scandinavia from the 1990s: http://whenfallsthecoliseum.com/2010/02/04/burn-baby-burn-churches-go-up-in-flames-down-in-texas/.

I'm guessing the churches with better financial support in Texas already had smoke alarms, sprinklers, and the good security that money can provide... I just can't help but picture these arsons as also a crime against the poorer people of the region, people perhaps with little more than a warm seat in church.

I could be way off here, but I can't help but imagine the kind of church built from scratch by Robert Duvall in The Apostle, which to my mind is just about as good as it can get if you want religious themes with your overpriced popcorn and cola.

Well, I'm sure just the fact that I wrote this proves beyond a doubt I'm some odd but hopeful agnostic who snuck into the Chick-Fil-A tonight and enjoyed the ambiance and a good family meal. I miss the 1970s and my father's Shake 'n Bake--disco or Cat Stevens in the background, take your pick--but I must say the Christians down here do chicken right.

More than one really nice South Carolinian has told me with an admiring glow that Chick-Fil-A is debt free. Is the golden chicken rule about living within one's means???

Where is our Allen Ginsberg poem on chicken??? I'm guessing it's called "Chicken Night," but in China, they'd understand AG prefers the duck.

Quack.

No comments:

Featured Post

Book Reviews for Fight for Your Long Day

Genealogies of Modernity " Fight for Your Long Loud Laughs " by Jeffrey Wald at Genealogies of Modernity (January 2022) The Chron...