Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Harvey Mudd College

According to this Slate article, Harvey Mudd College ranks number in Return On Investment (ROI) of over one million dollars after twenty years. I'd just recently been describing Harvey Mudd, part of the Claremont consortium in Southern California, as similar to Cal Tech, and, yes, like many people the person I was speaking to had never heard of it.

Anyway, back in the late 1980s, I almost applied there because a) late into high school, I still strongly identified as a "math person" and b) my father had moved to the Los Angeles area in the early part of the decade.  As it turned out, he was out of L.A. by 1991, and freshman fall of undergrad was the last time I took a "real" math class although I did enjoy some history of calculus before graduating.

If you read this blog, then you're probably aware that I don't think that financial return is the primary way we should rank colleges or the main reason we should attend one, but I do believe that burgeoning student-debt should be a concern of anyone interested in maintaining our economy, or even our democracy.

No comments:

Featured Post

Book Reviews for Fight for Your Long Day

Genealogies of Modernity " Fight for Your Long Loud Laughs " by Jeffrey Wald at Genealogies of Modernity (January 2022) The Chron...